1. The defendant refused to answer the presecutor’s questions ______
a. Because he was afraid it would incriminate him.
b. For fear that they will incriminate him
c. Because he was afraid that his answer would incriminate him
d. Fearing that he will be incriminated by it
2. Mrs. Walker has returned _______
a. A wallet back to its original owner
b. To its original owner the wallet
c. The wallet to its originally owner
d. The wallet to its original owner
That sentence is correct
3. The hospital owes _____ for the contruction of the new wing.
a. The government twenty million dollars
b. For the government twenty million dollars
c. To the government twenty million dollars (The sentence is the most appropriate answer from the other answer)
d. Twenty million of dollars to the government
4. Sarah _____ that she could not attend classes next week.
a. Told to her professors
b. Said her professors
c. Told her professors (the sentence in accordance with the questions )
d. Is telling her professors
5. The artist was asked to show some paintings at the contest because ______
a. He painted very good
b. They belived he painted well
c. Of their belief that he was an good artist
d. The judges had been told of his talent
That sentence is correct
6. If motorist do not observe (A) the (B) traffic regulations,they (C) will be stopped, ticketed, and have to pay a fine (D)
D is incorrect, because the sentence would then have to pay paralleled a fine should be replaced with a fined.
so the sentence should be “If motorists do not observe the traffic regulations, they will be stopped, ticketed, and fined”.
7. Fred, who usually conducts the choir rehearsals(A), did not show up(B) last night because he had(C) an accident on his way to the practice(D).
C is incorrect, because the sentence should used the past perfect. So the correct sentence is “Fred, who usually conducts the choir rehearsals did not show up last night because he had had an accident on his way to the practice”.
8 . A short time (A) before her operation last(B) month, Mrs. Carlyle dreams(C) of her daughter who lives overseas(D)
C is incorrect , because the sentence above is the past tense of the word is supposed to dreams of dreamed, dreamt.
So the correct sentence is “A short time before her operation last month, Mrs. Carlyle dreamt of her daughter who lives overseas”.
9. The atmosphere in Andalucia(A) is open, warm, and gives a welcome feeling(B) to all who(C) have the good(D) fortune to visit there.
B is incorrect , because the sentence is not parallel structure. so must to change so that will be formed good parallel. "welcome'' should be " welcoming''
10. Some of the (A) people were standing (B) in the street watched (C) the parade, while others (D) were singing songs.
C is incorrect, because the sentence is parallel structure. So “ watched’’ should be “watching’’
So the correct sentence is “Some of the people were standing in the street watching the parade, while other were singing songs”.